Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Doctor's Visit

I went to my rhuematologist today. She is going to try and get an MRI on my lower back to see if there is something causing this pain in my leg. She doesn't think it is a herniated disk and I don't either.

She has to battle with my insurance company and said it could take a while but they will let me know. If it turns out there is a problem, I'd probably be sent to Pain Management. Meaning, deal with it. Which I already do . . most of the time.

She talked about over the counter pain meds, which don't work, and perscription meds, which I can't take and work.

So, we aren't much farther ahead. Sadly, I can see in her face sometimes she wants to offer me some advice. But honestly, I'm not stupid. I have researched fibromyalgia and Rhuematoid arthritis. There is no cure, and no relief in the long run. Everything is a patch and the patches are often harmful in themselves.

My primary care physicaion gave me an extra BP med. Isn't working terribly well as far as I can see. I am supposed to take my BP every day at the same time. Right. Like I have an organized day with times set to do certain task! I do what has to be done and I do it when I get to it. If I can't get it done, it isn't because I'm slow or unorganized. It is because there was too much crap to begin with.

I've been shooting for about 5:30 p.m. and I've hit that about twice in the last week. But I've taken it at other times too and sometimes it seems fine and other, not. So, I'd say that is a no?

Ok, now you have my very well educated opinion of my medical condition.

Funny about that. My aunt called me the this week. She said, "I had to call Dr. (my last name) and see what you thought this was." She told me that she always calls me before she goes to her doctor. She said, "Everytime I've done that I have gone to the doctor and he told me exactly the same thing you told me was wrong." She laughed and said, "So, we always check with you first to be sure the doctor is right!" Then she told me she wanted me to go back to college and become a nurse practicioner. She's old.

Of course, I laughed too. Physician, heal thyself.

I am not a doctor nor do I have a medical degree. Every thing your doctor knows is in a book somewhere. He had to read it and he has to research your problems if he doesn't know. There is no reason you can't be educated about your condition. But please be warned. Some doctors don't like it when you know more than they do. My current doctor is a woman about my age but she has the degree. When I question her about my meds she gets annoyed. I see it in her face, even though she struggles to not show it. She's not a good actress and doesn't have a good bedside manner. I don't like being patronized.

Since I started using that office, they have made an error on dosage of one med and I may have found a second error. I discovered they increased the dose on one of my meds but she didn't tell me she was doing that. So, tomorrow, I have to call about it. The last time they ordered quadruple the dose on another one. They had not discussed it with me so I checked. When I caught it they corrected it. What if I trusted that? They told me someone had entered it in the computer wrong! So, now I have a second increase I was not told about.

My philosophy: It's my body and I am PAYING you to treat me. I will be told what is going on. I will be informed before you change something. I do not have to take something I think is bad for me. I don't have to believe your mouth is a prayer book even if it does open and shut. And, if you don't want me as a patient, I can find another doctor. I have excellent insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.