Sunday, July 6, 2008

Late NIght with Dixie

As you can see from the time on this post, it is reeeeeally late. I've just finished posting to a NEW blog! Yes, a new blog. The Most Dangerous Kind of Madness. Well, actually, this is just another paper I had sitting on my computer gathering digital dust. I won't be making any new entries to it. I just posted it as a paper and opened it to the public. You will find the link in my Links section.

Although, I've posted a few of my college writings here, this is a rather long research paper that took an entire semester to research and write. It is a rather detailed analysis of three communal socities in America. I like to say it is three of the sickest individuals in American history. One is known as the largest mass murderer in America.

So, if you like social history, or just history in general this will probably interest you. If you like tales of madness, murder, and misconduct this will definately interest you. If you just like reading about sick Americans, you'll love it.

I must warn you, some of the information is disturbing. During the research for this particular paper, I would get terribly depressed and overwhelmed by what I was reading. There were days I actually had to walk away from the research and leave my house. I can remember one really beautiful Saturday morning, I simply got up and walked out and got in my car and drove away. I stayed gone for hours. You can't read some of the reference material without feeling a bit filthy afterward. At least, I couldn't. I was glad when it ended.

Part of my problem was I had some personal issues I had to face during the research phase. One of the references is a book called "When Good Enough is Never Enough" by Steven Hendlin. This is an excellent book about the concept of perfectionism. It and writing the paper was my Waterloo. I can't give you details here but let's just say all perfectionist are pretty much alike. So, when you are studying the men I was studying and you realize you share some of their traits, you can become a bit distraught. It was frightening, emotionally devastating, and exhausting. I was happy it was my last semester of college.

I can only say it taught me some important lessons. I hope you'll read the paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.