Saturday, July 26, 2008

You Know You're Old. . .

When the topic of conversation after "Hello" is a run down of youer medical condition and the various test you've had run. I know it is true! It has been happening to me!

Everyone at work asked about my MRI. Of course they all knew about it and some had also had the procedure themselves. So, I've had lost of questions.

In my last post, Happy commented that everyone she knew who had had an MRI hated it. I'm finding the same thing. I haven't had anyone who said it was a pleasurable experience or even "OK". No one likes it.

Could it be the sensation of being in a coffin? I haven't had any bad dreams or anything because I think putting that cloth over my eyes really helped. I'm certain it would have been more difficult if I had not done that. I could have closed my eyes but has anyone ever done that and tried to keep them closed? At the end, I even found myself opening them under the cloth!

I'd have to say it wasn't the closeness but the sensations I experienced inside are the main reason I hated the experience. I can't even say the sound was a real issue. I had foam ear plugs and then they put rubber pads on each side of my head covering my ears. This was to pad my head that was positioned between two post. It also helped keep it still and muffled the noise somewhat. It still sounded like someone tearing a building down with jack hammers. Having lived in several large cities and next to a railroad line, I'm not tremendously jumpy.

I talked with a friend at work about what I felt and she agreed with my description. There was the sense of something swirling around you. I mentioned in my previous post it was like water swirling. Another description occured to me when talking to my friend.

Imagine a cylinder of Saran wrap (clear plastic wrap) spinning around you. There was even a wind in the tube and it was colder that the room it was in. My friend agreed with that description! She said she didn't get dizzy afterward but since the girl doing the MRI said it affected her that way, I'm fine with that. It passed off rather quickly.

The whole experience is not one I want to repeat but I am always glad of a new experience to add to my repertoire. Now I am waiting for the results. I hope this week they will call me but you all know how waiting for test results is like.

Back pain is still hanging around but the rest of me seems fairly calm this morning. I have a mild headache but the weather could be a factor. If you look at the weather over the mid-west today, you'll see lots of stormy conditions scattered about.

Those low pressure systems are migraine triggers and there appears to be one headed this way. There is one centered over northern Missouri and they track east along a specific path. For some reason, southern Indiana sits in an areas that is frequently in their path. There is a reason for that but you don't really want me to get into storm tracks, and weather patterns. I loved that stuff in college and had a really good teacher. Earth science is just fun. I strongly encourage any college student to take it. It is an easy A.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.