Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saturday at Home. . . or Somewhere

We went to the riverfront last night and watch the fireworks. We sat in the same area we usually sit, up on the Levee. As soon as we got there we realized it was very windy and cold! At least 10 degrees cooler than my front yard and I'm only 10 minutes from the river! We had to call Mike, who had decided not to go, and ask him to bring us a jacket for Becca, a blanket and a sweatsuit for Sarah. He forgot the jacket and Becca insisted I use the blanket. I tried to share but it was a small one and our legs would freeze but she wouldn't do it. It did warm up a bit about halfway through.

Sarah seems to have a good time. We walked a bit before and she people watched while it was still light. Once it got dark, she watched the fireworks but I think after 30 minutes she was getting tired of it and wanted to walk again.

I took photos but I don't think they will be very good this year. The humidity in the air kept the smoke hanging close to the ground so some of the display was not very good. You couldn't see it through the smoke. They also had the barge in a different location so they were father away. Usually they are close to the outside bend of the river, (Indiana side) and pointed upriver. This year, they were more into the center of the channel and pointed toward the bank. The river is wide at that point.

I have to say it is always pretty to see the river on the Fourth. There are hundreds of small boats all along the Kentucky shore and they will have dim lights that for the most part go out when the show starts. But until then, they are lit up and sparkle in the water. As darkness falls, the city lights show up and it becomes even prettier. We really do have a nice little riverfront. I took photos and will try and get them up this week. I really ought to invest in a digital but I truly do enjoy my Canon film camera. I am afraid the facility of digital may stop me from using film and that would be a shame. My camera repair guy, Henry, says film is here to stay but one never knows.

Today, I am supposed to do some other stuff at my sister's place. So much for a weekend off. I have told them all that tomorrow is God's and Monday is MINE. I have to get my yard mowed and get some bug poison down. We have chiggers terribly. I've been overrun twice with them and now Sarah has a case. I was miserable so I know she has been. Her mother has been using Calamine lotion with a antihistimine in it and I've told her to wash her in a salt bath. For some reason, salt stops itching. Really. If you get a mosquito bite, wet it and rub a bit of salt on it. The itching stops immediately. I figured this was a remedy to try on chigger bites. She also gave her Benedryl but anyone who has taken that knows you can't take it often.

We've lived here 20 years and the boys and I have spent hours in this yard and in the grass. We've never had chiggers before. Now, suddenly, this is their vacation spot. They are all over. I've hesitated putting out poison because I have lots of rabbits and birds and squirrels but we can't even sit in a chair in the yard now because of the chiggers. So, now, we have to do something. I found some granules of stuff to spread and I am hoping it will be effective on the chiggers and not cause a lot of damage to the ecology. I will have to keep Sarah out of it for a week, but as things are now, she can't go out anyway. She loves the yard and I just have to fix it so she can play.

Well, that's it for now. I have to get busy and do something that looks productive. I hope you will all have a nice weekend and those for whom it is winding down, have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.