Friday, January 8, 2010

The Widow Who Came In from the Cold!

I'm living in Siberia, wading through snow and ice and frigid temperatures, risking my neck each time I step out of the house. I worked all day every day and then spend several hours each evening in the company of friends or family. Tonight. I'm home, still freezing and exhausted. I do not want to do anything but get warm.

It is 18F! WHERE IS GLOBAL WARMING! And has anyone hear about how the entire European continent is frozen to a block of ice? And how about those manatees in Florida! So, global warming is actually the Ice Age?

I just went outside to verify that all the vent openings and the crawlspace opening under the house were covered. They have no covering on them. We put boards up in front of then to keep out wind and animals. I need to take care of it this summer and get more reliable covers. The crawlspace access was covered but the vent on each end of the house had come uncovered. I found boards that would work and covered them up. My pipes will freeze if the power goes out so I have to insure the heat that passes through the duct work also keeps underneath the house warm.

Now, I'm going to get a very hot shower and put on my sweatsuit and wool socks! Then, I'm getting me a hug in a mug. I need it tonight.

The next "first" is Monday, January 11th. I married Jerry 36 years ago on that date at 7 p.m. It was a warm, sunny day in Andalusia, Alabama. I remember that. Sun was shinning in my bedroom window and they wouldn't let me sit down because it might wrinkle my dress. LOL, it was a white polyester knit! We lived next door to our church. I walked to the church and my dress had short sleeves. We went to Panama City, Florida that night and had a weekend honeymoon on the beach... well, not ON the beach. It was too cold for that on the beach front. We stayed in our hotel room, going out the next day for breakfast and shopping and washing the junk off the car. I don't remember much else. We went home on Sunday morning. Jerry could have told you ever single detail of those days. He never forgot things like that. I seem to have done so.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.