Monday, January 18, 2010

So, I'm Sleeping, Right?

I went to bed around midnight. No big deal, really. You know it isn't uncommon for me if you've read, say a dozen of the blogs. I went to church both yesterday morning and last night with a writing spree between. Riete termed it that and it is a very apt term. I've been on a writing spree for weeks now, thanks to . . . well, at first it was Kat. Now, I'm not sure.

For several days, Simon has been in my head.... usually AFTER I go to bed. For the last, oh, two or three nights, as I doze off to sleep he's over here somewhere nattering away. Simon tells me all this stuff. Next morning, I have to jot it down and talk to Kat.

So, last night, I'm sleeping, right? Actually, I lay down and was thinking about the last discussion Kat and I had and I closed my eyes and could feel myself dozing off and Simon said, "You have to write this down. You'll forget it."

I said, "It's one a.m., Simon. I'm in bed. I'm just about to sleep."

He said, "You don't have to work in the morning. You'll be fine."

I lay there a minute, thinking. I CAN remember this.

"No, you won't."

I sat up and tossed back my warm electric blanket. "This is crazy!"

"Take you less than five minutes."

I plod across the hall and turn the computer back on. I wait for Windows to check a thousand switches. Finally, I am able to type an email to Kat hoping that Steph gets it before she writes her next post. The next bit is her's and the information I have is crucial because it is part of what happens.

"There you go. No big deal."

"What if Steph doesn't get it?"

"You'll figure it out."

I consider leaving the computer on. . . just in case. Decided the glow will keep me away and that it isn't going to happen and turn it off. I plod back across the hall, Simon tagging along.

"I'll help you."

"Oh, that's not gonna happen," I said. "I'm going to bed."

He laughs. "Sweet dreams."

Simon is dark. He's the guy everyone loves to hate. I actually like him. . . a lot. I understand him. When you've walked in dark places, the way Simon has, it changes you forever. Not necessarily in a good way but not in all bad ways either.

Sharing a story with someone is very hard. Kat's character - Serge - is a strong character. I termed them the white knight and the dark knight. Seems to fit. Neither is perfect. That's hard, too. Kat can weigh in on her perspective of all this if she likes. We've discussed it, ad nauseam.

But it is hard when you share a story, when you both have to put a part of it in. You have to compromise, give way to the other writer at times, even if you think you're version is better. We sit for hours, unaware of the time a lot, and play a sort of what if game. Serge says/Simon says. We examine and a refine and decide what works for both of us... not for Simon and Serge. If they had their way, they'd both be supermen.

Demanding characters, I've discovered, don't like to give way. Characters have no moral compass so they can get pretty nasty about being relegated to minor or what they consider inferior roles. At least, Simon does. As I said, he's dark and his desire it to hurt those who've hurt him. So, I think it is up to Kat and I to keep the peace, to sort it out and put it all together in a way that makes a good story. As I said, it is hard. I suspect she'll say the same.

Ok, Simon is telling me that I have to get off the blog and listen to him. Actually, there are dishes to wash, a bed to make, and I have to pay bills.

"Hey! Where are you going?" I called to his retreating back.

"I have some things to take care of. Lilac wants to talk to me. Back around bedtime." he calls over his shoulder with a wave.

Sheesh! Do you believe that?


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.