Sunday, May 3, 2009

What's Marked in My Bible, #2

Genesis 6:2 & 11

2. That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

I've often found this verse fascinating! So much so that I've done several researches regarding it and the Nephilim, the beings referred to in this passage above. This intermarriage is not mentioned again but there is another scripture that refers to the descendants of Anak who were giants and residing in the Promised land before the Hebrews came. They are said to be the Nephilim. There is much debate about this verse among scholars of the Bible and about the Nephilim specifically. I won't go into it but if you Google them you will see what I mean. Some of it is way out there. But once you begin to read the more reasonable information, it is interesting.

Verse 4 indicates the children of the union between women and heavenly beings became mighty beings. I read a paper by Derek Prince, a minister whose work I like reading, who made the claim that the Nephilim are very possibly the beings referred to in Greek and Roman mythology. We know these are legends but in every legend there is a grain of truth. Having read these myths as a child, I realized that it made more sense for these to have been the people mentioned in Verse 2 and 4 of Genesis. Separating the facts from fiction is more complicated because of the time span. But it is fun to think about these mysteries.


11. The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

I always found this verse very interesting because it is so current. I marked it many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.