Thursday, May 7, 2009

What's Marked in My Bible, #14

2 Chronicles 30
17. For there were many in the congregation that were not sanctified: therefore the Levites had the charge of the killing of the passovers for every one that was not clean, to sanctify them unto the Lord.
18. For a multitude of the people, even many of Ephraim, and Manasseh, Issachar, and Zebulun, had not cleansed themselves, yet did they eat the passover otherwise than it was written. But Hezekiah prayed for them, saying, The good Lord pardon every one
19. That prepareth his heart to seek God, the Lord God of his fathers, though he be not cleansed according to the purification of the sanctuary.

Don't know when I found this or what I was studying but it struck me for a particular reason. We presume to tell people the "method" by which they are to be saved. I believe a specific way and I hold fast to that. But, here is a place where there were some in the congregation that were not cleansed according to the required method. The amazing thing is that the penalty for such a thing was death. You could not enter the congregation uncleansed.
Yet, they were allowed in and Hezekiah prayed for their pardon. Verse 20 says that the Lord hearkened to that prayer and healed the people.


Job 2:10. But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.

Good and Evil is from God? There is another verse in Psalms that also states this.


This next one is for Jilly: It is the source of a common saying.
Job 3: 25. For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.

I found the following verses amusing and marked them.

Job 12:1. And Job answered and said,
2. No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.
3. But I have understanding as well as you; I am not inferior to you: yea, who knoweth not such things as these?

Translation: You're the man and when you're dead there won't be anyone with intelligence around to tell us what to do. I'm as smart as you are and I'm as good as you. In fact, everyone knows this stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.