Monday, August 4, 2008

End of a Miserable Day

I had to go to the doctor today. The pain in my right side, front and back, was horrible. I thought maybe I had a kidney infection because it was localized and all the way through. I thought at one point I was going to have to leave work for home. I called and they had me come in at 3 to see the doctor. This was my primary care doctor.

She had seen my MRI and said the same thing the RA doctor said. No obvious problems. She said she thinks this pain is all related to my back and wanted to know what I had been doing. I told her I had been flat of my back except for work for two weeks. Basically that is true. No really heavy lifting or terribly strenuous work. But anyone with a back problem knows all you have to do is roll over wrong. Lifting often has nothing to do with it!

Anyway, here is the gist of our conversation.

"You need to take it easy. Take a couple of days off from work and go home and relax."

I said "It ain't happening. I can't afford to take any days off since my husband just got us over drawn at the bank and wiped out my savings."

Then she said, "You really need to go away from your family for a few day."

I said, "I have no place to go and no money to go on."

She asked, "You have no family where you can visit?"

I said, "My family doesn't live here. My family is mostly all dead since my grandparents raised me. I have a sister in Florida but my mother lives there too. She is not a person you can relax around."

Then she said, "You should try swimming. It is easy on the joints, would be good for your back and help you relax."

I said, "I'll have to look into that." I have no intention of it since it means joining a gym with a pool!! What part did she not understand about the money situation?

So, she gave me a scrip for Darvocet, prescription M&M's. I have one for Darvon from the RA doctor I haven't had filled. Then, she said there was no use going to pain management because I just needed to relax and take it easy. I have sciatica.

Really?

Good thing I have insurance. And they told me I had a $15 credit so didn't have to pay my co-pay. I hate this doctor. That was my LAST visit to her. I'm cancelling my appointment in two weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.