Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Day at the Zoo and Other Tales of Extraordinary Interest

On Monday Jerry and I got Sarah and took an afternoon trip to the zoo. Our zoo has undergone some renovation this year so I was looking forward to it. We had family passes when our boys were small and it was a nice small zoo.

The weather was lovely on Monday, mid to high 70s by 3:00 p.m when we headed that way.We stopped at Mcdonald's for a late lunch and Mike left us at the park.

You now enter through what was the back entrance. It had been remodeled with a cafe and gift shop and the new Amazonia exhibit. As you walk in there are water geysers. Sarah immediately wanted to get wet. She has been in a similar water fountain this summer and knew exactly what they were. We rushed past this area quickly because I didn't pack a towel. I had no idea they had the geysers there.

The paved walkways are wide enough for golf carts and a tram so once Sarah's leash was on she could walk. We walked past the large lake in the center of the park.We saw ducks and paddle boats and at the dock, large swan boats that Sarah called ducks. We made our way around to exhibits that had been there for years but were empty and over grown with brush and weeds. I have no idea why. There were some really nice exhibits but I was surprised at how few considering how much money was spent on a new exhibit. There was no elephant! There was a children's area but no petting zoo and most of the features of the children's area were empty. We did see donkeys, ponies, and goats.

Sarah didn't know the difference. She loves walking and looked at everything with great interest. She is a very intense child when she is learning. You can actually see little wheels turning. When you pointed something out, she looked like a little scientist who had just discovered a new organism.

We stopped by the Otter exhibit. There were two but it was a smaller exhibit than in the past. However, there nicest thing about it was a Plexiglas tube beneath the pool. I could have crawled through and watched the swim underwater. Sarah was having none of that (neither did I) It was an large tube open at both ends and clear but she didn't care for the "puppies" visible in the glass. I never thought much that otters looked like puppies but in the face, they kind of do! She did like them when viewed from the top. I love watching otters and I always liked this exhibit.

Next favored sight was the prairie dogs. She called them "puppies" too. I told her she was getting closer. There was a tube for this too, a dark tube closed at both ends that she didn't mind at all. You stood up halfway through and should be able to see the prairie dogs up close. She was too short. It was too dark and close for me, although I could have fit inside easily. And the "puppies" were in a lower area playing. We did get to see them and they were very cute.

We wandered into several exhibits where they had been monkeys and there were a couple of apes of one sort or another. I found later that the monkeys were near where the old entrance used to be. That is a very long hill. It was when we reached the bottom of that hill that I told Jerry I couldn't do it. My legs had begun to hurt. As I said, this zoo is hilly.

We avoided the nocturnal house. For some reason, it didn't hold the charm it did when I had two little boys who were into strange creature things that inhabited the dark. This is a very, very dark room and very little light is in the glassed in cages. You can barely see the sloth. Sarah is really too small to be very interested in such things.

The bird and snake exhibit was boring and mostly under construction. We quickly bypassed the Burmese python. Neither Jerry or I care for snakes and these creatures are specifically malevolent. I hate them. He stands guard near the bird and snake room. Well, the bird room was always kind of nice. It is a large area that is like a closed corridor and in a three walled room it has lots of trees and bushes and painted scenery where they fly around. You stand outside the room and look in. Some even fly into the main area because there is no fourth wall. On the opposite wall they have glass boxes of snakes. Predator and prey in the same room.

Farther into the section is another python and this one was housed next to a cage of birds. He was extended about four feet up the wall of his cage that abutted the birds cage. There was probably another 10 feet of him on the bottom of his cage! I told Jerry he was so close to lunch he could smell it and he wanted in. Hideous creature.

We were now headed for Amazonia. This area had all been redone. The bears were gone but there was a Sumatran Tiger, a lioness, various birds and turtles.In one place they had water mist where we could have cooled off but I knew if Sarah got a whiff of that we were done for.

We saw emus, wallabies, and more turtles. There was a double humped camel, a Bactarian camel I think is what it was called. I didn't see the snow leopards they used to have either. That is quiet disappointing as they were lovely animals. I remember when they had cubs, long grown by now and in some other zoo.

Finally we entered the Amazonia exhibit. It is glass and the first thing you see from the back entrance are the waterfalls. It is really beautiful and with lots of greenery but the first section from this entrance is on the lower floor and is a series of glass cages and tanks. They have a Jaguar and she was lovely but very shy. And they have huge fish tanks but not many fish in them yet. Then we began to enter the "rain forest".

Folks it was warm. You move up a series of ramps and as you wind around you see a wall of rock and there is a waterfall and really lovely plants. A couple of animals that I didn't recognize until I got to the tapirs. The third turn takes you to nearly the top of the falls and just below the room where steam is coming out of the vents. Did I say it was hot? Let me tell you, it must have been 120 degrees up top! I had overheard a zoo employee below say something to another employee about having to come down frequently because they were misting "up there" but I didn't know what she meant. I was thinking that water mist we had seen earlier. No, it was steam. And for the first time I wondered how attractive it probably wasn't to visit a rain forest. The air was thick and hot, like a steam room. Very unpleasant, really. I prefer saunas and would love to have one but not a steam room. We had reached the end of the path and when we pushed through the exit, the outside felt wonderful, even though it was probably 80 by now.

Mike was to pick us up and sure enough, he had slipped in free since it was after 4 and was sitting at the cafe watching the children in the water geysers. This was it. We took off Sarah's shoes and changed her into a different outfit and let her go.

She knew just what to do and she had a blast. Mike stood nearby had as much fun watching her as we did. After 15 minutes we had to get her ready to go because they closed at 5. She pitched a fit. We put her dress back on and a fresh diaper but she cried all the way to the car and fussed for several minutes until I gave her a pacifier and she began to doze off.

A very long afternoon! Papa and I were pretty tired, too. Sarah spent the night and was in bed by 9"30 but grandma had a horrible night. Leg pains shooting up both legs and I don't think I slept a full hour all night. I dozed. Sarah was restless half the night as well. I know I restarted our sound machine (beach sounds) four times and it will play for an hour. I am usually asleep by the time it stops. So, I know I went to sleep but not how long I slept for each time and I restarted the machine four times. I was up at 8 and so was Miss Sarah. We had breakfast and both went back to bed!

We were back up at 10 and Jerry and I talked about the car problem. Did I tell you it was broken down again? It will take over $400 to fix it this time. This was the last straw. So, Tuesday found us in Henderson, KY to look at a car. I had told Jerry that morning to go to this car dealer's website and see what he could find. He found a Honda and we headed over. No, ladies, here is the difference in how a man shops and how a woman shops. Pay attention.

When we got there they said they had the car ready for us to test drive. We went out and I head for a car. I walked right past the CRV. They stopped me. This is it. I looked at Jerry but got in. There must have been something on my face because the salesman said, "Would you folks like to drive alone so you can talk or do you want me to go with you." My wise husband said, "We'd like to go and talk about it."

I said, "It is an SUV! Jerry, I can't afford and SUV!"

"It's a CRV. I told you it was a CRV."

No he did not. He just said a Honda. I pointed that out but he asserted he had told me it was a CRV. Whatever. "I'm not buying an SUV."

"It's a CRV."

"I can't afford the payment, I can't afford the insurance. And I sure can't afford the gas! We are not buying this."

We went back. When we went in I told the salesman "It was nice. It drove very good. I really liked it. But I can't afford the payments, the insurance, and certainly not the gas."

He laughed and said, "What would you like?"

"I want a CAR! That gets good gas mileage and has a reasonable payment."

"What kind of payment do you want?"

"As close to $250 as you can get it."

"You ever drive a Ford Focus?"

"No but I've seen them."

"I have several. What color you want?"

My husband said, "Red or black, anything but silver."

I said, "I don't care what color it is! Silver is fine but no black because it would be hot."

He came back with a 2007 Focus with 22,000 miles on it. It was a demo for test drives. It still had 14,000 miles warranty left on it. And it got 33 mpg on the highway.

We drove it. My husband immediately hated it. He's six feet tall. Small cars intimidate him. The salesman was the same size but was a bit bulkier, yet, he had no trouble getting in and out but my husband struggled. Yeah. Like that's gonna matter to me.

I liked it. We sat down to talk. I gave my information to the salesman and when I gave my birth date he said, "That was a very good year."

I said, "Yes, it was."

"I was born that year." He paused then laughed, "You look ten years younger than me. You must take good care of yourself."

Cha-ching.

He came back after running the credit check and I told him I had forgotten to list my student loan. He leaned on the desk and smiled, "Lady, your credit is so good, it don't matter."

Cha-ching.

Yes, I bought it. How close did I get? My payment is $299.96 but extra $50 got me a 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty that will cover virtually anything that breaks down. And Gap insurance. I only recently heard of this. If my car is totaled, if my insurance won't pay it off, this insurance covers the shortfall. The window glass and doors are etched with a serial number that can be traced in the event the car is stolen.

So, I drove a "new" car home on Tuesday.

Wednesday? I spent the day asking what the heck I was thinking! I don't do spontaneity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.