Sunday, August 31, 2008

Clarification of My Thought Processes

I think I need to clarify my position in regards to something in the previous post. I mentioned the Book of Enoch. Let me say that in no way is the Book of Enoch considered a part of the Protestant Bible. It is part of the un-canonized religious text that were rejected when the King James Version was put together. The Catholic Church recognizes it and several other un-canonized books as suitable religious text. The Protestant church does not. I am an Apostolic Pentecostal. Basically, Protestant. You can research that and find exactly what I believe, with some variations. But overall like most Protestant groups, we do not recognize the Apocrypha for religious guidance.

Jesus quoted the book of Enoch. I believe there are a couple of other places in the KJV where it is quoted by a disciple. Obviously, it was being read during Jesus' time. So, I became curious and began to wonder why it was excluded. I found a copy and read it for myself. After reading it, I understood why it was excluded from the Protestant Bible. I do not suggest here it is "gospel". It is not. I merely indicate it is of interest. Most of it is just a confusing mishmash but there are sections that I found very interesting. They read much like a mythological tale.

If you are familiar with Roman or Greek mythology and you read Enoch, you will know why I found it so. There is a school of thought out there that the "gods" of these mythologies were in fact, the Nephilim mentioned in the Old Testament in Genesis 6:1-4. The book of Enoch also relates information about the fallen angels and it is easy to see why this connection to Greco-Roman mythology seems plausible. I actually think there may be something to it. Maybe sometime I'll post what I've found in my studies. However, it has absolutely nothing to do with the plan of salvation, living for God, or Christianity in general. It is simply an interesting concept. I tend to find weird stuff interesting.

My point here is that I don't want to misdirect anyone or give the wrong impression. I believe the Bible and my preferred version is the KJV. I do on occasion, refer to other translations to clarify a passage. This is simply to give me a clearer understanding of the language and not to replace the meaning of a passage. If a passage in another translation seems to disagree, in my view, with the original KJV, I will usually ignore that translation or at the least, take it with a grain of salt. In my view, narrow though it may be, any teaching or text that is clearly opposite to the teachings of Jesus Christ and his disciples, it NOT valid. The Bible is the only source that relates the plan of salvation accurately. I say this not to offend, simply to clarify my position. You are free to respectfully disagree.

That being said, I am grateful for you, my friends who have commented and found the subject interesting. It is so refreshing to know that you are all more than a hair color! I have brilliant and wonderful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.