Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Euphemisms

I have always loved language and particularly the English language. We
speakers of English, both the pure English and those who bastardize
it, have found strange and often amusing expressions to describe what
we think and feel. One source of a great number of our expressions
comes from the Bible. I said once I'd post some of them.

Today I ran across one that reminded me.

Take "He's half-baked." That's in the Bible. Hosea 7:8 says: "Ephraim,
he hath mixed himself among the people; Ephraim is a cake not turned.
" Ephraim is half-baked.

Another is "I escaped by the skin of my teeth." Job 19:20 says: My
bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the
skin of my teeth.

I'll drop these in as I run across them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.