Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hi Ho, Off to Explore We Go

Why is it that no matter cheap the hotel, the beds are usually very comfortable. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and never once have I slept on an uncomfortable bed! And this one is king-sized. I had a lot of good pillows too. I have a hard time finding a pillow that I can sleep on because of my neck. I forgot to bring mine but there are five on this bed and two were perfect for me. I don't have a neck ache this morning.

I fixed a coup of coffee and now I'm going to find food. Then I have to decide which cave to visit! They are everywhere. Cost is anywhere from $5 to $50 depending on the tour of Mammoth. There are about a dozen tours of Mammoth alone! Depending on how long you want and how difficult. The "Wild" tour is the most expensive. Won't be doing that. But I'd like to do the historic tour. It is two hours but there are stairs and it said "moderate" in the difficult column.

Yes, Riete, the hotel had this nice packet with all kinds of brochures and coupons. Some other commercial caves have discount coupons for them. They call this Cave Country. Karst topography, which I'm sure Riete knows about, causes the caves you find here. This is where underground water sources have carved out great caverns. Mammoth is 365 miles of cave. That's just one cave in this area. I am going to drive through the park as well, if I can. They have camp grounds and hiking trails, which I will not explore in the horrible heat we have.

Nina, I'm 100 miles from Nashville. If I do this again, you can plan to join me! At the rate I'm going, I'm going to have a very large party if I do this again. Two ladies I work with said if they'd known I was coming, they'd have come with me. LOL, wonder if I could get a hotel discount with a group? All together, I don't think this is a very expensive getaway. I'm going to probably come out spending less than $300. The hotel, while not plush, is serviceable. I would bring Lysol to kill the musty odor of seldom used rooms if I stayed here again. This room is usually about $80 a night but the double room was less because there was only one of me. $55 was what they were charging me. LOL, so, deluxe room for $55 a night? I'm good with it. And again, they went out of their way to put me somewhere else.

I'm going to have to remember photos. I keep forgetting but last night I was not doing well at all. This is an emotional roller coaster and I'm not happy with it.

Off to breakfast now. Back later with news!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.