Monday, September 8, 2008

What To Wear to the Interview

Probably this is directed more to women but I may be able to offer a few techniques to the guys.

So, what do you wear to an interview? Obviously, we've covered the worst scenario in a previous post, all in good fun but all too true. So, now, if I were interviewing what would I be looking at. Remember, the interview is about YOU. The interviewer will see what you wear but what he or she should remember is you, not your clothes. Unless they are atrocious. If the clothes yell louder than you talk, well, keep submitting those resumes. That doesn't mean be colorless. It means be tasteful. They call if professional dress. Watch the lawyer shows. They know how to do it.

Size doesn't matter when it comes to looking good. Everyone has a good feature. Find it. Flaunt it tastefully. Big women can look well dressed and attractive. I know. I come from a long line of BBW's who knew how to dress, even on a budget. Avoid anything with bold prints all over the body. You will look like a walking sofa. My feeling is that big women look best in straight vertical styles with minimal prints. Knee length skirts keep you from looking like a blimp. Find good shoes.

Clean lines. Ruffles are fine in teensy portions, say at a cuff. Understated is the key. This is particularly true if you are a size large.

If you have a tailored suit and a pretty blouse, I'd say wear it. If you like color, that's fine too, but stick with solids or vertical strips in small quantities. Pair strips with a solid so they aren't over powering. Red is actually known to be a power color but don't overdo it. A red dress, if you're slender might be fine but maybe not if you are an 20+.

A red blazer with navy skirt or slacks is great and a better choice if the fit is good. Put a pretty white blouse underneath and a gold pin on the lapel. If you aren't into red, find the color that is appropriate with your coloring. There are sites that can teach you about what colors will suit you best. I tend to look best in rich or dark colors like teal, navy, emerald, burgundy. I call them jewel tones. Black is also a good color on me. But it might not suit everyone. Some people appear washed out with dark or heavy colors. Pastels would probably be their best choice.

If you are into scarfs, find a book that gives you examples that suit your look and teach you how to drape or tie them. Thick necks might not do scarves well.

If you favor slacks, find a pair that FIT. This means they don't conform to your cellulite bumps. They fall cleanly from the waist and hip. They don't hug the buttocks either. We all know you have them but over time, those things are gonna do ugly things. Slacks that don't fit well will wear in the places that rub the most. Avoid what we all called pedal pushers when I was a girl but they are now called Capris. Those are for beach wear or biking (pedal pushers... get it) or mall crawling.

Heels are o.k. within reason but not stilts. No more than 2 inches. Makes the leg look nice but you won't totter and your feet won't kill you for a bit. For daily office work, (sigh) stick with the less than 2 inch policy. Every time I wear higher, my feet hurt by night and the next day, too. I love heels. My feet just don't love them anymore.

Knee length dresses or skirts. No one wants to see your stuff when you sit down. That's the nicest way I can say it. Save it for the pole dancing job.

Basic hosiery. I only say this because you don't want a distraction. You can save the pretty patterned ones for after you get the job.

Simple jewelry. Note the lapel pin above. If you opt for necklaces... stick to simple and one. A single strand of pearls look great with a tailored look. Faux works if you aren't lucky enough to have the real ones.

If you wear makeup, keep it light. You don't know what kind of lighting you will be seen in during the interview. Lights can be cruel to older women and if you use the wrong makeup for the lighting, you will end up looking hideous no matter what your age. Check you makeup in several lights but again, go for as natural a look as possible while still doing what makeup was designed to do-- make flaws look natural.

I don't actually know what to tell you about hair. I have waist-length, straight hair. I can do curls up high, a chignon, a french braid with a bun at the base or a low ponytail, a lover's knot on the crown of my head or 60's flower child. For office work, I've always favored one of the up do's so it isn't in my way. With my hands bothering me, the pony tail has become pretty favored. My office is a bit laid back so most of the women often wear casual slacks or capris. I often wear more casual clothes. But not for the interview. For that, I put my hair up, usually with the curls or in the fancy bun.

If you tend to be frizzy, go somewhere and get it fixed. If you get the job it will be worth it. Over dyed hair is ugly. Sorry. You've abused it and it lacks shine and body. Find a hairdresser to fix it.

To really impress, find a hair stylist that can help you find the look that suits your face! Just because you like it doesn't mean it suits the shape of your face. There are books and websites that can teach you about facial shapes and the types of hair styles that will flatter you. Take the time to research it. It is why I can wear severe buns and a french braid.

Color is a matter of choice. I've not become so gray that I care to bother with it at this point. I may never care. When I do, I'll have to decide on how to handle it. I am a boring brown with a lot of gray now but at one time I had a lot red and gold and blond highlights, so much so that I could be called blond. Those red, gold and blond strands are now all gray. {sigh}

Finally, hygiene. Take a good bath. Brush your teeth. Get them cleaned if you can and if not, use baking soda for several weeks. It works and if you keep using it, a professional cleaning may never be needed. Seriously.

Go easy on the cologne. Some people are allergic. Be a shame to cause the interviewer to go into an allergic reaction. Doubt you'd get the job. If you bathe in a good soap you probably won't need a lot of other stuff. I love perfume and showering myself in it. Restrain yourself. I am serious about the allergies. I once got a new doctor and they sent me a letter before my appointment telling me that she was allergic to some colognes and to please not wear them to my appointment. I didn't.

One thing we can't forget is BODY LANGUAGE. Focus on your posture. Practice in front of a mirror. Do not slump if you can help it. Chin up, shoulders back, stomach tucked, and don't lock your knees. Stand against a wall until you are sure you can stand straight. Eyes ahead and walk in a natural pace. This is why good shoes are important. Unless you have a physical disability that hinders your walk, you need to stand straight and walk straight.

During the interview, you're likely to be seated. Sit straight. Don't lounge. Do not cross your arms. It is a closed posture and indicates a lack of openness. You don't want to convey that message. If the chair has arms, put your arms on it in a relaxed manner. If it doesn't, lightly clasp you hands in your lap. If you can find another way to leave the arms uncrossed that looks natural, that is best.

Don't clench your fist. Don't pick your face, nose, mouth or hair. If you must cross your legs, be sure you remain erect in your chair. It is easy to slip down when the legs are crossed. It isn't flattering at times either. It is better to cross your legs at the ankles than at the knees. Better for you and a more positive (open) posture.

There are things you can read to tell you about positive body language. I would encourage you to review some of these also. Sometimes we just can't figure out why we didn't get the job when we had all the required skills. Presentation is everything, whether you are baking a cake or making a bed or interviewing for a job. Take time to do your homework.

So, have I missed anything? You will have to tell me.

Please remember these are just my observations. I've hired for support staff. I've sat on hiring boards with my current employer. So, I have some idea of what I am telling you.

If you are a woman being interviewed by a man, you are supposed to extend your hand first to shake hands. If you are a male interviewed by a woman, the woman extends her hand first. Male to male handshake, don't ever remember hearing who goes first.

Oh, remember to smile.



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.