Saturday, March 15, 2008

Soap Story

I've slept and my sentiments have not changed much. The compassionate responses are appreciated, of course, but I suspect I've gone beyond the reach of rational thought.

But there is something theraputic about making soap. My husband saves the soap slivers, actually still big enough to use but hard to handle when wet. The cache had become so big I was going to toss them last weekend. He stopped me and said he wanted to use them to make a bigger bar. We've done this before and it works very well but I haven't done it in a long time. Tonight I decided to try it again.

I've had Sarah most of the day and after I took her home, I got the slivers out and put them in a bowl. I must remind anyone who tries this to use a glass ovenware dish. Melting soap is hotter than you can imagine. I forgot this rule tonight and had a small puddle of soap and plastic on the bottom of my microwave. And the bowl was one I've microwaved in before! Wear at least platex golves for handling it. It will still burn if you get it on your hands but it is managable. Getting it melted is a pain because it doesn't all melt at the same time and for some reason it foams rather than melting like wax.

Once you get it soft, add a little water but not to the hot dish, which will also be hotter than you think and will shatter if you add cold water. I put it in a pan and used a metal spoon to mix in a little water. You have to really brake the soap into small pieces and it is best to do this before you start. I didn't. This is probably why it didn't melt very consistently. After finally, getting most of it soft and coated with water I lined a cake pan with wax paper and dumped the mess in. I covered it in the same and used another cake pan to press it. I needed more water. I started over.

I then dumped it all in a plastic zipper bag when it had cooled enough to handle safely. I added a small amount of water and began to smoosh it all around in the sealed bag. Be sure and let enough air out to be able to do this. Then, I began to press it into the bottom of the bag to form a loaf shape. I rolled out all the air and rolled the top of the bag down to compress it further. It is sitting in the kitchen to cool and it will probably be a couple of days before it dries. But I will have the equivalent of two bars of Dial soap.

For those worried about germs. Believe me, the heat of melting soap will actually raise a blister on your skin if you don't protect yourself. Nothing could live in it.

I would also recommend trying this in a double boiler with a smidgen of water in the soap. I think the melt would be more even. You could even add purfume if you are so inclined. As long as it won't conflict with the scent of the soap. I didn't try this but with the slivers I used, there wasn't much but a soap smell.

So, I burned my fingers slightly, created something useful and conserved on soap and money. And my kitchen smells of soap. Better that than the garbage. I have polish sausage in the oven and I am going to have the baddest dog in town.

Tomorrow is Sunday. Maybe it will be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.