Chili Rice DinnerThis is a delicious one pan meal that I fed my family of four with for years. It works well with cheesey bread and side dishes are up to you. We didn't usually need them but a salad is a nice contrast.
My substitute items are for my convenience only. I've made it either way. If you're a cook, you may have all this stuff to hand. I'm all about shortcuts. This can also be prepared in the microwave if you like. Instructions follow the main recipe.
Ingredients you'll need:
- Ground Beef
- Chili Powder
- Dry Mustard seasoning
- Whole kernel corn
- Bell pepper
- Tomato sauce
- Minute Rice
Brown in a skillet over medium heat:
- 1 lb of ground beef (I always buy 80/20 but the higher fat content probably will work just as well)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (I substitute dehydrated minced or chopped onions 1/4 cup soaked in hot water for about 20 minutes.)
- Drain fat if necessary. (this may not be necessary with low fat meats.)
Add following ingredients and bring to FULL boil, stirring occasionally.
- 1 Tbl chili power (I've also added things to make it a bit more spicy. If you like spicy foods, add your spice of choice. I've used Mexican seasoning and creole seasoning.)
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 package whole corn 10 oz (I use a can of sweet corn drained)
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (I buy the multi-color peppers, chop them up and freeze them to have on hand anytime.)
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of Minute Rice
- Turn head low and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn heat off.
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheeses ( If I don't have cheese to shred I use slices of American cheese.)
- Once cheese melts, serve.
Remember microwaves differ. Please err on the side of caution and reduce the times until you know what works best. If something isn't done, add a minute more until you reach desired result.
- Break up beef in small chuncks in a 2 qt non-metal baking dish. Add onion, cook high power 4 minutes. Drain any fat.
- Stir in spices, corn, pepper & tomato sauce. Omit water. Cover and cook 4 minutes.
- Stir in rice, cover and cook 4 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cook 1 minute to melt.