Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Tasty Dinner

Mike and I had supper tonight together. I'm trying to show him some easy recipes that he can make for himself and freeze some of it for later. Tonight it is a family favorite:


 Chili Rice Dinner

This is a delicious pan meal that I fed my family of four with for years. It works well with cheesy bread and side dishes are up to you. We rarely needed them, but a salad is a pleasant contrast.

My substitute items are for my convenience only. I've made it either way. If you're a cook, you may have all this stuff to hand. I'm all about shortcuts. You can also prepare this in the microwave if you like. Instructions follow the main recipe.






Ingredients you'll need:
  1. Ground Beef
  2. Onion
  3. Chili Powder
  4. Dry Mustard seasoning (and some Southwestern Seasoning for more bite)
  5. Whole kernel corn
  6. Bell pepper
  7. Tomato sauce
  8. Water
  9. Minute Rice
  10. Cheese
Instructions and Measurements:

Brown in a skillet over medium heat:



  • 1 lb of ground beef (I always buy 80/20 but the higher fat content probably will work just as well)
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion (I substitute dehydrated minced or chopped onions 1/4 cup soaked in hot water for about 20 minutes.)
  • Drain fat if necessary. (this may not be necessary with low fat meats.)
Add following ingredients and bring to FULL boil, stirring occasionally.
  • 1 Tbl chili power (I've also added things to make it a bit more spicy. If you like spicy foods, add your spice of choice. I've used Mexican seasoning and creole seasoning.)
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 package whole corn 10 oz (I use a can of sweet corn drained)
  • 1 cup diced bell pepper (I buy the multi-color peppers, chop them up and freeze them to have on hand anytime.)
  • 1 15oz can tomato sauce
Stir in:
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 cup of Minute Rice
  • Turn head low and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn heat off.
Top with:  
  • 1/2 cup of shredded cheeses ( If I don't have cheese to shred I use slices of American cheese.)
  • Once cheese melts, serve.





Microwave instruction:

Remember microwaves differ. Please err on the side of caution and reduce the times until you know what works best. If something isn't done, add a minute more until you reach desired result.
  • Break up beef in small chuncks in a 2 qt non-metal baking dish. Add onion, cook high power 4 minutes. Drain any fat.
  • Stir in spices, corn, pepper & tomato sauce. Omit water. Cover and cook 4 minutes.
  • Stir in rice, cover and cook 4 minutes longer.
  • Sprinkle with cheese and cook 1 minute to melt.

#recipe
#ChiliRiceCasserole
#ChiliRice

1 comment:

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.