Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Run to the Weekend

Remember that busy weekend I had a couple of weeks ago? I'm in a time warp.

My brother called around 4 p.m. on Friday and said he was in town for the weekend. It was unexpected but he's always welcome. He drives a truck and sometimes his route brings him  through here. David's car had broken down and he had to use mine Friday so he headed to the truck stop to pick him up. I got off at 4:30 Friday, so I rode home with my friend Carolyn.  Dave and Bill walked in right behind me so it worked out well.

I had the NaNoWriMo Meet and Greet I had to be at by 6. I got a shower, and got my gear and David dropped me off, my brother along for the ride.  On the way Dave's wife called. She was with a friend and they ran out of gas. She expected him to drop everything and go help them. Remember, his car is in the shop and I have a meeting I'm on my way to and can't stop.

I got there around 5:30, found a few early arrivals and chatted for a few moments then got my supper. By 6:30 p.m they had been filtering in and gradually working their way to filling up the tables in the area where I was sitting. I'd wander around the place and when I found them I just asked them to move once they finished eating. Eventually, by 7p.m. we had 27 WriMos in Panera Bread.

I made a little speech welcoming them and how this was the largest turnout I'd seen in the 6 years I'd been doing NaNo. I gave out my goodies bags and told them what the items were I'd provided. And then I simply turned them loose to visit among themselves. It was really amazing. Everyone had a really great time and mingled and chatted until 8 p.m.

I got home and spent some time visiting with my brother and answering the email response from the WriMos expressing their excitement over the kick off. It was a resounding success by all accounts.

Saturday... I hit the ground running. I was up by 9:30 and relaxed until about 10. My brother and I had plans to go to lunch with my sister and Mike. Dave's car was in the shop and he still had mine. So I met him at the shop and he got his car. I left there and picked up Mike and headed back home and my sister had arrived. We left to get gas and headed to Cancun, our favorite Mexican restaurant. We left there at 1 p.m., my sister headed to work and I stopped on the way back and picked up Sarah. We came home and spent the after noon and evening watching movies, talking and entertaining Sarah. I took her home around 9:30 and Mike and got back around 10 p.m.

This is my last chore of the day. It is now 11:48 and I still have to brush my teeth. Sigh. I'm tired. In the morning I have to take my brother to his truck and then head to church until noon. I believe I'll come home and crash then.

My back and right leg have been giving me fits for several days and my left hip feels like it is trying to lock up. Did I say I'm tired. NaNo starts in four days.

Someone loan me some energy.


  1. WOW!!! No typo's mom! I'm thoroughly impressed. LOL!!!

  2. as amused and entertained as I am by your activities this weekend.. I am impressed at your use of pics, and I LOVE the walking skeleton. Guess I've got to take the time to figure out how to do those. Once again, you are motivating me to try new things... so you can add that to your list of accomplishments for the weekend!

  3. Wow Cindy, you had a really busy weekend, but sounds like a lot of fun (even the car juggling bit!) And your NaNo kickoff was a hit!

    And Happy Birthday!

    Laurie, can't wait to see what pictures you're going to be putting in your future blogs.

  4. Happy birthday!!

    What a busy time for you. So nice your brother was by this weekend for your birthday. And that the Kick Off went well.

    I had to chuckle at the story of Dave's wife calling him to 'rescue' her. It reminded me of something similar. My now ex-husband locked his keys in his car while at lunch; a police officer couldn't get in, so my ex called me. (We hadn't separated yet. And he'd been giving me lectures about how I wasn't capable of taking care of myself...) I had several kids at the house and loaded them all into the car and drove 20 minutes to hand him his spare key. Turned around without a word and headed home again.

  5. Whew! I wish I had some extra energy to donate to you! Car troubles do put everyone in a bind. I'm not sure which is worse - car trouble or computer trouble!! Hope you got that much needed rest this afternoon! Congrats on the successful kick-off!!

  6. Did I miss your birthday? That's where I miss multiply - I had reminders! Sorry, hope it was a good day. Yes my son does attract problems but he always seems to bounce back ok so I'm sure he'll be fine. Nothing happened to my shoulder - it just gradually siezed up during the summer. Had to wait ages for a physio appointment so now I'm exercising, and icing it. It is a frozen shoulder so the inner lining of the joint is inflamed - apparently just happens. And will just go. Hopefully sooner rather than later.