Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Late Evening with the Dream Stealer

I'm headed off to bed but since I'm in a writing mood, I felt it only right that I post a short blog. Tonight was my online writers group and as usual it was entertaining. Such a nice group of friends I have and it is always fun.

However, I've been setting goals for myself the last several weeks. I spent a lot of time actually putting them down on paper, a calendar. I have to update it every weekend but that is actually helpful. Anyway, since today is Monday and I've finally reached a place where I think I've talked about it enough and filled in my calendar with my goals. I should start today.

May I have a drum roll please? Wait... maybe some soft music to set the mood. Something that builds up to the drum roll.

Where was I? Oh, the writing group closed slightly early for the evening; 8:30 is our usual time but tonight it was closer to 8:15. I did a few things, got a drink, and I sat down at my computer and opened Scrivener. I marked my time on my calender. It was 9 pm. I opened The Dream Stealer. Simon stepped off the pages and into my head.

The thing is a real mess as a result of writing in scenes. My usual method of writing is from point A to point Z. This works really well. The Dream Stealer began that way but in a stupid attempt to fill in holes, I wrote 50,000+ words in scenes out of sequence for NaNo in 2011. This is not a good way to write. It is really insane. I have a surplus of scenes that seem to belong nowhere. Maybe the next book? Hah! I have to finish this one. I have enough words to finish it but as I organize and structure the scenes I find there are still places that are all wrong. So, do I start over? I began to think I must. But there are some good scenes, a lot of them. I may not know a lot but I know when the writing is good.

Anyway, I stopped at 12:00 midnight mainly because my brain couldn't take anymore but also because I actually need sleep. Besides, sleep is where he's does his best work, I hear. Dreams are not safe from the Dream Stealer.

4 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to join you guys. Maybe next time. Maybe next time I'll actually be in the process of writing!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hooo!! 3 hours with Simon... errrr ... I mean, 3 hours of writing! you go, girl! If that's what the asylum does for you, we need to meet more often :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes! Good on you, Dixie. And Simon. That rascal.

    The Asylum is good for all of us. Sometime today I'll start posting The Inkwell under its own tab at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire authors and am a voracious reader, but I can't even begin to think about actually trying to write a story. You blow me away!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderate because of increased SPAM.