Chicken, Rice, & Vegetable Casserole
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1.25 - 1.5 hr.
Oven temp: 375
Feeds approximately 4-6 people
- 1 pkg of Onion soup mix
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 10-12 oz of pea & carrots or mixed vegetables thawed
- 1 can of mushrooms (optional)
- 4-6 pieces of chicken (amount will vary based on size of pieces)
Items you need to prepare this dish:
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 13x9 in baking pan
- Aluminum foil
- measuring cups
- mixing spoon
Optional but recommended Prep:
- Line your baking pan with foil. This just makes clean up easier.
- Make a tent of foil that will cover the whole pan. I usually have to take two sheets, longer than my pan, fold them together legnthwise so they'll tent well all the way around.
- In bowl, mix Onion soup mix, milk, and soup. Take out 1/4 cup of the mixture and set it aside.
- Pour in rice and vegetables. Mix well. It may be a bit stiff but that's fine.
- Pour into your baking pan and spread it evenly.
- Place chicken pieces on top of your rice mixture. As you can see, I got about 8 small thighs. You could probably use about 4 large breast or leg quarters instead.
- Pour the 1/4 cup of mixture you set aside over the chicken pieces.
- Place foil tent over the pan and seal it up well around the edges. This is important to hold in the moisture to cook the rice.
- Place in the oven and set your timer.
When the time is up, open the tent very carefully. Steam will boil out and you can get a nasty burn. I usually open one side, with great caution, and let it vent a second. I also take a spoon and get a small bite of rice out and see if it is done. If it isn't, reseal it and put it back in for a little longer. This is why sealing it tight is important. You have to keep the moisture in to cook the rice. Also, buy good rice. I've used rice that just simply didn't cook in this recipe.
No, I don't have a final shot of the finished product. It smelled delicious and we were so hungry by the time it was done, I forgot all about photos. You'll just have to try it. Believe me when I say it is delicious. I've fed a lot of folks with this meal. There was never enough rice to suit us.
It has been so long since I made this I had forgotten how delicious it tasted! And yes, we had some leftovers. We had it for lunch the next day. After looking at the photos, I may make this again this week. My mouth is watering.